Jonas Salk Fellowship
UPDATE - The deadline for applications has been extended to Tuesday, September 24, 2013.
This year’s fellowship will be like no other.
The passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) has created an unprecedented opportunity to change how medicine is practiced and to engage young adults in the national movement to enroll uninsured Americans in healthcare coverage.
This year’s Jonas Salk Fellowship will be driven by the opportunity of this historical moment, and will task fellows with designing and implementing innovative programs for enrolling large numbers of eligible individuals in the Health Insurance Marketplace. Teams of fellows will then present the results of their enrollment programs and lessons learned at the final session.
(Jonas Salk Fellows participate in group work during monthly sessions held in downtown Pittsburgh.)
Fellowship sessions will be held on the following Wednesdays from 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. in Downtown Pittsburgh. Attendance is expected at all sessions.
- October 9, 2013
- October 30, 2013
- November 13, 2013
- January 22, 2014
- February 12, 2014
- March 12, 2014
All sessions will include respected guest speakers, dinner, and time dedicated to refining fellows’ enrollment programs.
Selection Factors: Successful applicants demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Active community involvement
- Effective communication skills
- Pursuit of knowledge outside of the classroom setting
You must be a new, current, or recent graduate student of a health-related field (including but not limited to: medicine, nursing, pharmacy, occupational and physical therapy, social work, dentistry, health law, health policy, public health and business), complete an application, and submit a resume, personal statement, and one letter of recommendation.
Responsibilities: Throughout the Fellowship, Fellows are expected to:
- Participate actively in all sessions
- Prepare adequately by reading background material on each topic provided
- Challenge their own assumptions
- Complete necessary project work outside of dedicated fellowship sessions
- Maintain an open mind, as well as a tolerant and respectful attitude towards diverse viewpoints and all those involved with the Fellowship
- Contribute to verbal or written evaluations of the Fellowship
Download the Salk Fellowship application. The deadline for applications has been extended to Tuesday, September 24, 2013
For more information on the fellowship program, please contact us.